Sunday, August 18, 2013

Meeting Aesclepius

My meditative practice for this week has not been productive because I was not able to focus. Indeed, it is difficult to focus on stillness with uncontrollable sneezing, runny nose, and stuffiness. I will try the exercise again when I feel better. I chose my mom to personify wisdom, compassion, and loving-kindness. She is my role model and hero.
I got to admit that, so far though, these meditation practices have been very beneficial to me: I have more peace within, I am even more compassionate, and I have more loving-kindness. My mind has been more focused, sharper, and more efficient. I no longer see these exercises as just class assignments that "I have to do": I actually enjoy doing them. They are now an integral part of my life. I have grown to also like guided medication very much. Who knew... 
We can all think that we know what someone is going through but we can only rely on our “imagination”.  Unless we walk the same path, we can’t quite understand/know the full experience. As health care professionals, we cannot ask of our patient what we are not willing to do ourselves to achieve integral health. We have an obligation to live by example. As the saying goes, “don’t just talk the talk, walk the walk also”. Just as much as we encourage and coach our patients to get or stay on the path to psychological and spiritual growth, we must also make it an integral part of our own life: it must be constantly and consistently nurtured and customized to fit our special circumstances.

Browny.

No comments:

Post a Comment